June 13, 2017

FAQs

1. What is the difference between Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis?
2. How common is IBD?
3. Can I be cured from UC?
4. I have heard you can't take ibuprofen if you have UC, is this true?
5. Is colon cancer more likely if I have UC?
6. Is surgery necessary in treating UC?
7. Is there a specific diet I can follow?
8. Am I more likely to get osteoporosis?
9. Can UC affect my eyes?



1. What is the difference between Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis?
Crohn's disease can affect any area of the GI tract. Ulcerative Colitis is limited to the rectum and colon, never involving the small bowel or any other part of the GI tract.

2. How common is IBD?
Approx 75-150 cases per 100,000 people have IBD. It is more prevalent in urban developed countries.

3. Can I be cured from UC?
Unfortunately ulcerative colitis is chronic and usually lifelong diseases.

4. I have heard you can't take ibuprofen if you have UC, is this true?
Ibuprofen and naproxen are part of a class of drugs called non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or NSAIDs. They are frequently used for headaches, muscle aches, joint pain and menstrual cramps. It is well known that NSAIDs can irritate the stomach and have been reported to trigger flares.

5. Is colon cancer more likely if I have UC?
You may be at an increased risk for developing colon cancer as compared to the general population.

6. Is surgery necessary in treating UC?
Although UC can be treated successfully with medical therapy, approx 25-30% of individuals require surgery. Surgery for UC involves the removal of the entire rectum and colon, which is called procto-colectomy.

7. Is there a specific diet I can follow?
What you eat always has an impact on how you feel. The specific carbohydrate diet is a grain-free, lactose free, sucrose-free diet suggested to patients with colitis. 

8. Am I more likely to get osteoporosis?
Individuals with UC are particularly prone to developing osteoporosis. Women are four times as likely as men to develop osteoporosis.

9. Can UC affect my eyes?
The most common eye disorder associated with IBD are episcleritis, iritis, and uveitis. Often the tiny blood vessels of the eye become inflamed, causing them to dilate or expand which is what causes the eye to become red. Other symptoms included pain, sensitivity to light, and blurred vision.

No comments:

Post a Comment